Make walking and cycling your New Year's resolution!
Wednesday, January 19, 2022
Walking and cycling is a great way to improve your mental and physical health, it is also really fun to do and can help you save money if you ditch the car!
Did you know:
- Walking and cycling increases blood flow to our brain, which improves our mood and makes us feel less tired – just what we need on those dreary January days!
- Walking and cycling are great low impact ways to exercise, making it perfect for most people getting back into exercising (but always check with your GP first if you’re unsure).
- Ditching the car for just one trip per day and walking / cycling instead can reduce your carbon footprint by around 500kg per year and save you tonnes of money!
Fancy giving walking or cycling a try? Check out our handy tips for walking and cycling this winter:
- Wear several light layers to keep your body insulated without overheating.
- Cover your hands and ears with windproof gloves and a good hat.
- Wear bright clothing and reflective gear to ensure others see you whilst walking / cycling
- Make sure your bicycle has working front and rear lights - this is the law!
- Think feet! Make sure you have thick socks to keep out the cold and improve grip.
- Make sure to stretch / prepare your muscles before heading out.
Great ideas for routes in Nottinghamshire are available via our ‘Routes and Rides’ guides available at: https://travelchoice.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/getting-around-nottinghamshire/walk/